Friday 28 February 2020

Judgement and assumption


I remember when I first started coaching 20 years ago I was lucky to often have the confidence of both parties to disagreements within the team. One person asserting their truth. The other their own. Since then a new word has emerged to describe what I observed - false news. And then acting as if that news, our assumptions, are the truth of a situation. It’s something we all do. Every day. Not the media. You

And I. False news that says a situation is as we judge it to be. Someone does or says something and without any further questioning we are sure in our own assessment. That reaction means this. This behaviour means that. That word said with that tone means the other. How soon relationships can degenerate based on such assumptions. No listening. No clarifying. No questioning. Simply an assumption in our own rightness with no communication. “How do you know that? What evidence have you got to support your judgement and assumptions ?” are questions I often ask in coaching sessions. Judgement and Assumptions are two of the 26 ZIGs I’ve identified that Inhibit our Growth and stop us flourishing.
“How do I know that?” is therefore a great question to ask yourself to start the journey of awareness and start zagging.

No comments:

Post a Comment