Thursday 29 September 2016

Day 6: 4 new habits in 28 days - Commitment


The premise of my 28 day challenge is that without sustaining a new habit for 28 days it's far too easy to fall back onto the old habit. In the blog I'm sharing what I'm doing to improve the chances of succeeding, and how I manage the challenges and frustrations that come up during the process. (see the bottom of the post for progress on these habits.)

Which of the following is the most motivational to you:
  • My doctor wants me to drink more water
  • My knees want me to drink more water daily
  • I wish I could drink more water
  • I would like to drink more water 
  • I should drink more water 
  • I need to drink more water 
  • I must drink at least 2 litres of water a day
  • I ought to drink at least 2 litres of water a day
  • I want to drink at least 2 litres of water a day
  • I hope I can drink more water a day
  • I will try to drink at least 2 litres of water a day
  • My goal is to drink at least 2 litres of water a day
  • I will drink at least 2 litres of water a day
  • I will drink at least 2 litres of water every day
For me this last statement works better at ensuring I take action - no musts, oughts and shoulds, no wishy washy would like, hope, or trying - just a commitment to do it! 

I will:

What about you? What words make most sense to you? How can will you reword your goal to ensure it's sufficiently inspiring, and involves a commitment from you to take action every day towards achieving it?

Alison Smith
The Purchasing Coach
Inspiring Change - Inside and Out

Progress made on day 6 - with some amendments to reflect the insights from today's blog:
  1. I will consistently eat gluten (and nightshade) free every day - oh dear achieved on GF but failed on nightshades even if by mistake! I popped into the shop on the way home, and thought I'd get some GF fish in batter but they didn't have any. So without thinking I bought some fishcakes - forgetting until I started to eat them that they contained potato :-(! No idea if it's nocebo or the sports massage that mean I have painful knees this am.
See this video from David Hamilton with a lighthearted depiction on the difference between placebo and nocebo.
  1. (numbering on the blog obviously doesn't like me adding in the video) I will do my hip mobilisation daily every day -  achieved even if done during my sports massage rather than self directed
  2. I will drink at least 2 litres of water daily every day - achieved
  3. I will do at least one thing differently every day - achieved - I bought a dragon fruit although I did then have to look up what to do with it. 
Blog posts of the journey to embed the 4 new habits have so far included - finding the inspirationvision and goal setting, setting targetsdoing things differently, wavering and finding support.

For anyone wishing to get support to embed new habits in their lives, or with a vision or goal in need of a good overhaul you may want to consider coaching. More about the coaching I offer here.

Hypertext links in the text above link to previous blogs written on the subject.

#28daychallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment