Tuesday 20 August 2019

I can feel the frustration


  • I can feel the frustration.
  • I can feel me digging in my heels.
  • I can me whispering “over my dead body”.
  • I can sense the dogged resistance to them getting their own way.
  • I will not give up.
  • They will not win.
I wonder if this ever how procurement stakeholders feel about us?

I wonder if this is ever how suppliers feel about us?

The content & details of the non work situation driving this behaviour in me is immaterial – even if I would love to gossip, moan & justify why I’m right & they’re wrong.

That’s going to get me nowhere.

If I step back, I can certainly see the behaviours that got us here:
  • Changes imposed on another party with no consultation.
  • An objection procedure that relies on emails/letters & no human contact.
  • Facts & data ignored if it supports a different outcome or amended outcome.
  • Ignoring other people's opinions because we've labeled them as NIMBYs 
  • Key facts & data misrepresented or omitted at the final presentation.
  • Only one party in attendance when approving the decision.
And
  • Emails written when angry.
  • Emails that stray from the facts & data.
  • Emails that push the other party to defending their position.
  • Not pushing hard enough for a face to face meeting.
  • Not talking to another human being.
Which of the above behaviours may you need to step back from today?

There is another way, and among other things it involves: 
  • Consultation 
  • Communication 
  • Compassion.
Join me for the 5 day Procurement Mindset Challenge on 9th September where alternate mindsets to the ones that led to the mutual frustration and impasse above will be explored.


No comments:

Post a Comment