25 unconventional coaching and facilitation tools to surprise and delight
Level of unconventionalness out of 10 = 8 (you've been warned)
NB: Conventional thinking and tools are likely to just give us more of what we've already got - which is OK if that's the outcome we're wanting. Otherwise a more unconventional means of accessing potential solutions might be helpful.
- Identify a situation you'd like more clarity on.
- Put it to the back of your mind.
- Print out or copy one page from a newspaper, magazine or a page of a book.
- Blackout a majority of the words, leaving certain words that make 'sense' /'feel right' as a poem/prose.
- Reflect on the poem, and consider what insight it has to offer on the original situation.
- Identify any actions arising from this reflection - when will you take the first step?
- NB: I went through 6 versions as I was too heavy handed with the black pen so copies allow for that. I also suspect starting with so few words limited my creativity - a whole page of print is much more helpful.
My blacked out version
A soul with two eyes
Some magic placed on his head
And here, in the moment
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
A great reminder for me anyway that I need to be in the moment more, and connect with that inner Magic!
As it's a very personal activity, I'd suggest you'd need to try it for yourself to understand the efficacy of the process. It's not something I get out of my toolkit very often.
Benefits: It's just a means of giving your left more logical side of your brain one thing to focus on, whilst allowing the more creative right brain to find a solution / insight that has been eluding you.
Uses: Coaching, Problem Solving, Creativity & Innovation
Participants: In 1:1 coaching or on your own as it's a very personal experience - I suspect if you tried to do it as a group/team it would remain at a very logic level (not that I've tried).
Unlocking procurement potential - using conventional and unconventional tools
Procurement and Business Speaker, Coach, Trainer, & Facilitator
email@example.com +44 (0)7770 538159
Earlier in the year I applied some of the unconventional tools shared in this advent series to common procurement challenges - more here.